15 Costs to Watch Out For When Renovating Your HouseNorth Phoenix home remodeling is an exciting time for everyone involved. With the amount of planning, anticipation, and investment that goes into North Phoenix commercial and tenant improvements, it is important to think through every aspect of the project before starting. The North Phoenix commercial remodeling experts at Valcon General have compiled a list of some hidden costs to watch out for when beginning a North Phoenix residential remodeling project.
1. PermitsHomeowners need to understand that before renovations can begin, permits must be secured. Which specific permits you need will be determined by the extent of your renovations, so be sure to discuss with your North Phoenix kitchen remodeling contractor so you are not taken by surprise partway through the project. Permits can cost anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, so do not forget to build that expense into your budget.
2. Hire a ProfessionalMany homeowners are fooled into thinking their remodeling project will be a simple DIY. However, it is important to remember that most projects of this type do not go 100% according to plan, and you could easily end up with a huge mess on your hands and no knowledge about what to do next. Hiring a professional contractor, such as Valcon General, will make your whole renovation project run much more smoothly. Remember that you will need to budget more money to cover the cost of hiring a contractor.
3. Garbage DisposalRenovation projects create a large amount of garbage and debris that must be disposed of appropriately. While some materials may simply be able to go out to the curb with your household goods, many areas have rules against it. Consider that you may need to rent a dumpster, a pickup truck, a dump trailer, or a large trash bin for all the debris acquired during your demolition process.
4. Property LinesIf your renovation or Mesa patio remodeling involves installing anything near the edge of your property, be sure to lay out the property lines first. Otherwise you will waste valuable time and money erecting your new fence or patio, only to find out it is partially on someone else’s land and must be ripped out. Property lines can easily run together over time, so it is important to set aside a few hundred extra dollars to hire a professional surveyor who can map out the lines for you.
5. Previous Work DoneIf you have an older home and are planning renovations, remember that previous work has likely already been done on the home. This may mean the current roof was simply placed over the existing roof, rather than it being removed first. Or, your plumbing and electrical may be Macgyvered together and need to be completely redone to meet codes and restrictions. Just go into your project preparing for unexpected hurdles to come up.
6. Getting Up to CodeAlong with the previous point, remember that your home (especially if it is older) may be completely outdated with the current building codes. This is particularly true if the hoe has not been altered in many years, if ever. Your original plans may need to be slightly altered depending on the current situation you find your home in once the renovation begins.
7. Water LeaksWhile renovating, you may come across an unexpected water leak, or at the very least, a spot that must be re-sealed to prevent leaks. This could quickly jack up your expenses, especially if you need to install a sump pump, repair leaky gutters or attic, or grade your property to help water run away from your foundation. This is where Mesa bathroom remodeling becomes particularly expensive, because it is likely your plumbing will need to be reconfigured to allow for the necessary hookups.
8. Pest DamageWhen you begin demolition, you may find yourself facet o face with a pest infestation or pest damage. This could be mice, termites, ants, squirrels, bats, bees, or any other animal. These pests are able to find the smallest of holes and work their way in to make a comfortable home for themselves in your walls. Obviously, this can cause great amounts of damage over time, so add some flex into your budget to prepare for the unexpected.
9. Home UpdatesAs long as you are opening up your home and creating a mess, you may as well plan to update some features in your home. Consider adding wi-fi boosters, surround sound, in-wall speakers, cable, usb plugs, or other modern and practical features.
10. Finishing TouchesWhile the main part of your budget should focus on the obvious items such as new cabinets, new flooring, new walls, and fresh windows, you should also build in space for new finishing touches. This includes items such as new artwork, different curtains, updated hardware and knobs, and more. All these items can really add up, so it is important to keep in mind the extra expenses that will come up.
11. Hiring CaregiversIf you are planning on being closely involved with the remodeling work in your home, you will need to budget some money to pay the caregivers. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to keep your children and pets away from the mess and unsafe areas while the home is a construction zone. Do yourself a favor and hire a babysitter so you can focus on the work that needs to be done.
12. Eating Out ExpensesIf you are dealing with a kitchen renovation, remember that you will be unable to use your kitchen for quite a few days or weeks. You will probably be eating out more than usual, which can quickly become expensive, so build some extra room into your budget for that.
13. Landscape RepairAny remodeling project, especially exterior, will inevitably result in some damage to your landscape. Shingles being thrown off the roof can crush flowers or shrubs, stacks of materials can damage grass and flatten dirt, and trucks going in and out can create ruts in the driveway or yard. Be prepared to spend some time and money fixing your yard after the remodeling is complete.
14. Overall CleanupOnce the remodeling is complete, a good deep clean will be necessary to rid your home of all the dust and debris that accumulates throughout the process. This is especially true if the home has been remodeled for resale. A professional deep clean can cost a few hundred dollars, depending on the size and requirements of your home, so be prepared to pay for that.
15. Any Extra SurprisesAs mentioned above multiple times, you can expect to see at least a few surprises throughout your North Phoenix home remodeling experience. There will always be something that comes up that requires extra time and money to address, so always be sure to leave some wiggle room in the budget for these unexpected hiccups. If you are planning a home or business remodel, Valcon General is an excellent choice of general contractor. We have been providing services throughout Arizona for over 10 years, and have plenty of experience and knowledge to get your project done right. Whether you are renovating one small room or the entire home, our excellent attention to detail and commitment to high-quality workmanship will set us far above any other contractor you may be considering. To learn more about our services and pricing, contact us today at (602) 518-5624. Published By: Perry Villarreal – Valcon General 18631 N 19th Ave #158441 Phoenix, AZ 85027 Office: 602-518-5624 Email: [email protected] Website: https://valcongeneral.com/
Posted: November 12, 2020
Comments Off on 15 Costs to Watch Out For When Renovating Your House
Valcon General, LLC
18631 N 19th Ave #158441Phone: 602-518-5624
Phoenix, AZ 85027
Phoenix, AZ 85027
Email: [email protected]
How Can I Make My Bathroom Look Bigger?
How Can I Make My Bathroom Look Bigger? Strategies For Creating a More Open & Airy Bathroom Are you tired ...
Renovation Tips For A Medium-Sized Office
Renovation Tips For A Medium-Sized Office 4 Important Things To Consider For Office Renovation One way to make your business ...
Small Kitchen Remodeling Ideas To Make The Best Use Of Space
Small Kitchen Remodeling Ideas To Make The Best Use Of Space Kitchen Organization Tips To Maximize Space A kitchen remodel ...
How To Increase The Visual Appeal Of Your Patio Project
How To Increase The Visual Appeal Of Your Patio Project Tips To Improve The Aesthetics Of Your Outdoor Space In ...
The Definitive Guide On Planning A Whole House Remodel
The Definitive Guide On Planning A Whole House Remodel How To Plan For a Whole House Remodel & How Long ...
Home Office Remodel: Change The Layout To Inspire Productivity
Home Office Remodel: Change The Layout To Inspire Productivity Create an Efficient Workspace Environment Over the last few years, many ...
Remodeling Tips To Maximize The Space Of Your Master Bathroom
Remodeling Tips To Maximize The Space Of Your Master Bathroom 7 Renovation Tips To Upgrade Your Master Bathroom A master ...
A Complete Guide To Pack & Prepare a Kitchen For a Remodel
A Complete Guide To Pack & Prepare a Kitchen For a Remodel Kitchen Remodeling 101: How To Prep a Kitchen ...